Did your book sell more than 100 copies?
Congratulations! It’s made it to the top 20% of books sold. Here are the cold, hard facts of book publishing, and book publishing success.
There are about 1.2 million books published each year in the US. Nielson Bookscan tracked the records for 2004 and came up with that number. The rest of the statistics:
- Of those 1.2 million books, 950,000 sold fewer than 99 copies.
- Another 200,000 sold fewer than 1,000 copies.
- Only 25,000 books sold more than 5,000 copies.
- Fewer than 500 sold more than 100,000 copies.
- Only 10 books sold more than a million copies each.
- The average book in the US sells about 500 copies
Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties:
Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.
How many books on Amazon?
The latest rough estimate and growing is:…
View original post 176 more words